Today was a beautiful day. I’m currently back at school in Nebraska for a Mid-Year Conference with all of the DCE interns from all over the world. These few days back on campus are hard to describe. Most of us interns have used the word “weird” in that description more times than we probably can count. It’s this interesting dynamic of loving this place but not really fitting in… at least not in the way we have in the past. Our roles have shifted, and that’s okay. In the midst of this awkward, indescribable, mid-way check point, it has been such a blessing to just see God presence everywhere I turn. Here are just a few examples of where that was found today alone:
- A conversation with a beautiful woman with whom I’ve literally had one prior face to face conversation with before, yet somehow our hearts just know each other. I don’t get it, but was so thankful for our time together this morning and God’s presence there.
- Chapel. I miss chapel. What a wonderful REST was found in the very SIMPLE yet profound proclamation of the Gospel today as it was describe as a song, a melody that can, in a way, be the “background” music to our life.
- Lunch (at Dragon Palace) with fellow interns, talking about anything and everything and nothing.
- A chance to share with other DCE students our experiences and where we’ve seen God at work through our internships.
- Being able to “pick up” friendships where they left off and just get straight to what really matters… to know and be known.
As corny as it may sound, I really felt like the last verse of a hymn we sang in chapel today encapsulates this trip back to Concordia for me.
’Tis good, Lord, to be here.
Yet we may not remain;
But since Thou bidst us leave the mount,
Come with us to the plain.
It is so wonderful to be able to reflect and see all the many ways God has blessed my life through Concordia… to be able to come back and be overwhelmed in a good way… to realize the number of people through whom God has blessed me and made me who I am. But now, as good as it is to be here, it’s obvious that this is not where I belong right now… and God comes with me to what’s next.
Lord, ’tis truly good to be here… to behold Your beauty… to see You at work in my life and the lives of others… to hear and remember your gospel melody that accompanies my life. And now, as I prepare to wrap this time here up, may You remind me of your promise to go with me and continue to open my heart and ears to that beautiful melody of Your love. ‘Tis good Lord, to be Your child. Thank You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.