I wanted to continue to share some bits and pieces of what we’ve been learning in our “A Confident Heart” studies on Wednesday nights. The second week of our study we explored the concept of being “KNOWN”. To think about being fully KNOWN by God can bring about a variety of emotions: excitement, fear, worry, joy, gratitude… perhaps all of them all at the same time. It’s perhaps scary to think that God knows EVERYTHING about us, but as we look into Scripture, we see that it really is a beautiful, comforting truth.
One place we see this amazing truth is Jesus’ interaction with the Samaritan woman at the well in John 4. (I encourage you to read it; it’s an amazing story.) This woman came to the well at midday … not when you typically would be out doing hard work in the heat of the day. The woman is baffled that a man, let alone a Jewish Rabbi would talk to her, a Samaritan woman, yet finds herself drawn in by His presence and grace. Through their interaction we see some amazing things about who Jesus is and how He interacts with US as well:
- Jesus sought her out. Just like God sought out Adam and Eve in the garden after they had sinned, Jesus sought out this Samaritan woman. Jesus didn’t HAVE to go through Samaria (John 4:4); most Jews tried to do anything they could to avoid having to go through that region. He had to go through Samaria because he had to have this interaction with this woman! Jesus pursues us as well!
- Jesus offered life but didn’t force it. As he talks about the “living water” he doesn’t force it on her, but invites her to have the true life she’s always longed for! He’s just waiting to pour that living water into our own lives as well.
- Jesus got to the heart of the issue. What starts with a simple request for something drink suddenly gets personal when Jesus asks the woman to go get her husband and bring him back. How painful those 4 words must have been for the woman to say “I have no husband.” when the truth of the matter is that she had had 5 and the man she was living with right then was not even her husband. He didn’t beat around the bush; Jesus KNEW her and got right to the heart of the issue. What’s the heart of YOUR issue? What would Jesus want to talk with you about today?
- Jesus used her to help others know Him more. Her testimony, packed FULL with shame and pain was the very thing God used to bring her whole town to know him. (John 4:39-42). He didn’t wait until her life was all picture perfect… right there in the midst of the junk, Jesus used her in a powerful amazing way! He wants to do the same with us! Nothing that’s been done to us or that we’ve done can separate us from God’s love. Nothing! He’s waiting each day to give us living water that refreshes and revives so that we can get out there and invite others to drink from that same well!
- Jesus knew her and loved her anyway. Here on earth, the reality is that we still see our mess. We still see the shame and hurt and confusion of life. Even in the refreshing, we’re still in a broken world. That’s why it can be comforting, not scary to trust that we are KNOWN fully, 100% by our Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer!
1 Corinthians 13:12 says:
For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.
To be known is to be loved. To be loved is to be known. Rest today that you are fully known and fully loved by our Savior Jesus!