There are reasons that appear in our lives every day to be sad or fearful or stressed or anxious.
- A never ending to-do list.
- Family members getting sick or injured.
- Violence that shatters a sense of safety.
- Dishes that pile up by the sink.
- Worries that pile up in our hearts.
- Men, women, and children caught in slavery.
- Misunderstandings and thoughtless words.
- Marriages that struggle to hang on.
- Grudges that remain unforgiven.
- Hope that slowly fades.
Likely this list could probably be much longer for many of us. Some are perhaps excuses to justify ourselves, but for the most part all understandable reasons to be discouraged or overwhelmed. Understandable, but perhaps not the “reasons” we should be focusing on.
You’re rich in love, and You’re slow to anger
Your name is great, and Your heart is kind
For all Your goodness I will keep on singing
Ten thousand reasons for my heart to find (Matt Redman – 10,000 Reasons)
Yes, this list is better. A list not of the reasons I have to be sad or frustrated or discouraged, but reasons why God is enough in the midst of those situations.
- God IS rich in love.
- He is slow to anger.
- God’s name IS great.
- His heart is kind.
- He gives us strength to do whatever really needs to get done on that never ending to-do list
- He is the great physician for those who are sick or injured.
- He is a sense of peace and calm in the midst of any violence.
- God gives grace even for mundane, like washing dishes.
- Truth from His Word, slowly demolishing that pile of worry.
- God chooses to use us, His children, in the process of freeing those caught in slavery.
- God understands even when other people don’t.
- God can reconcile even the most broken relationships.
- As we understand God’s forgiveness for ourselves, we are able to turn and forgive others.
- He IS hope to the hopeless as he is near to the broken hearted.
And so yes, God… for ALL your goodness, I WILL keep on singing and searching!
Each day of this life all the way through to the next life,
10,000 reasons (and probably even more!) for my heart to find…