This is part of the 66 in 52 Bible Journaling Challenge. Over the course of the 52 weeks in 2018, I will focus in on one verse from each book of the Bible with many others who have signed up to join me. Each week I will be posting a summary page with some thought about that week’s book(s) of the Bible along with some links that may help our reflection. Click here to sign up if you want to join us at any point along the journey!
The Big Picture of Galatians:
Galatians is another letter written by Paul. This one was to the believers in the churches of Galatia (1:1). The purpose of this letter is very clear: Paul heard that the people in Galatia has been wandering away from the truth of the Good News about Jesus. Verse 7 of chapter 1 explains that they were being “fooled by those who deliberately twist the truth concerning Christ.” Before going into details about the grace and life in Christ, Paul reminds the readers how he used to be among those who were fighting actively against Jesus and those who followed Him. This, in essence, is Paul’s testimony of God’s grace in His own life. As the book goes on he outlines the gift of salvation and the freedom we have as God’s children. Freedom is actually a huge theme in the whole book and Paul longs for the followers in these churches to understand and experience the good news that Christ brings freedom.
Issues and Themes Discussed in Galatians:
- Grace and legalism
- Unity in the Body of Christ
- Righteousness doesn’t come by the law but rather by Christ
- The Holy Spirit and His gifts/fruits in our lives
- Identity as God’s Children vs slaves
- Not giving up when things get hard
A Few Key Verses and Possible Reflection Questions/Prayers:
Some of us are planning to read through the whole book or books each week, while others are just focusing in on one verse per book. This section of the weekly intro post might help you narrow down a verse to reflect on for the week, but you do not have to choose one of these verse, pick any section of the book you want! These are just some ideas.
- “Obviously, I’m not trying to win the approval of people, but of God. If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ’s servant.” Galatians 1:10
REFLECTION: Where are you most tempted to seek the approval of others instead of God? What does God say about that area of your life?
- “But even before I was born, God chose me and called me by his marvelous grace.” Galatians 1:15
REFLECTION: Spend some time in prayer asking God to show you some of the things He’s chosen and called you to by His grace in this season of your life.
- “And because we are His children, God has sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, prompting us to call out, ‘Abba Father.’ Now you are no longer a slave but God’s own child. And since you are his child, God has made you his heir.” Galatians 4:6-7
REFLECTION: What does it feel like to be called God’s child? Where are you still living like a slave?“
- “So let us not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up.” Galatians 6:9
REFLECTION: How can you plant seeds in faith today, knowing the harvest will come in the right time?
Some Other Resources:
- The Bible Project summary video for Galatians
- A Pinterest board with resources and pictures for Galatians
- The 66 in 52 Schedule and Tracking Sheet
So now it’s your turn! Pick a verse and settle in this week, or read through the whole book. If you post any picture or blogs on social media, tag them with #66in52challenge so we can all share in this journey together!