This is part of the 66 in 52 Bible Journaling Challenge. Over the course of the 52 weeks in 2018, I will focus in on one verse from each book of the Bible with many others who have signed up to join me. Each week I will be posting a summary page with some thought about that week’s book(s) of the Bible along with some links that may help our reflection. Click here to sign up if you want to join us at any point along the journey!
The Big Picture of Colossians:
Colossians is another book by Paul likely written while in prison in Rome. The purpose of this letter was to encourage the church in Colossae to stand firm against false teachers that were rising up around them. He raises up Christ as the only leader to follow after and imparts them to stay close to Him. There were many around trying to deceive them with empty philosophies and get them to follow after the things of the world. Paul reminds the church that in Christ they are made new and can live a new, free life.
Issues and Themes Discussed in Colossians:
- Christ’s as God
- Life in Christ
- Putting off old behavior and taking up new behavior by Spirit
- Family relationships
A Few Key Verses and Possible Reflection Questions/Prayers:
Some of us are planning to read through the whole book or books each week, while others are just focusing in on one verse per book. This section of the weekly intro post might help you narrow down a verse to reflect on for the week, but you do not have to choose one of these verse, pick any section of the book you want! These are just some ideas.
- “Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. For this I toil, struggling with all his energy that he powerfully works within me.” Colossians 1:28-29
REFLECTION: Where do you need Christ to work his energy powerfully within you this week to proclaim Him?
- “Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.” Colossians 2:6-7
REFLECTION: How has your life changed since you first knew Jesus as Lord? What do you roots look like? How does your ‘walk’ reflect your connection to Christ?
- “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.” Colossians 3:16
REFLECTION: What is a way you can connect with others as you dwell on Christ’s Word this week?
Some Other Resources:
- The Bible Project summary video for Colossians
- A Pinterest board with resources and pictures for Colossians
- The 66 in 52 Schedule and Tracking Sheet
So now it’s your turn! Pick a verse and settle in this week, or read through the whole book. If you post any picture or blogs on social media, tag them with #66in52challenge so we can all share in this journey together!