This is part of the 66 in 52 Bible Journaling Challenge. Over the course of the 52 weeks in 2018, I will focus in on one verse from each book of the Bible with many others who have signed up to join me. Each week I will be posting a summary page with some thought about that week’s book(s) of the Bible along with some links that may help our reflection. Click here to sign up if you want to join us at any point along the journey!
The Big Picture of Ephesians:
Ephesians is a letter from Paul to the believers in the city of Ephesus. One summary of the whole book might be this phrase at the beginning chapter 4: “live a life worthy of your calling”. Throughout the book Paul paints this beautiful picture of what life in Christ is like. It is a life of freedom, faith, unity, light, peace, and more. He doesn’t say it’s always easy, but he does say it’s worth it. It’s a big calling to live as God’s children, but it brings the most abundant, fulfilling life we could imagine. He also talks of the tools and resources God provides for the journey including the armor of God and the Holy Spirit himself. Throughout the book we see what life practically looks like in families, churches, jobs, etc. as we follow after Christ.
Our Identity in Ephesians 1:
The first chapter of Ephesians is packed full with statements about our identity in Christ. Here are just a few:
- Holy people (1:1, 18)
- Faithful followers (1:2)
- Blessed (1:3)
- United with Christ (1:3, 11)
- Loved (1:4)
- Chosen (1:4, 11)
- Holy and without fault in His eyes (1:4)
- Adopted (1:5)
- Purchased to be His own (1:7, 14)
- Forgiven (1:7)
- Showered with kindness (1:8)
- His own (1:13, 14)
- Called (1:18)
- Filled with His power (1:19)
A Few Key Verses and Possible Reflection Questions/Prayers:
Some of us are planning to read through the whole book or books each week, while others are just focusing in on one verse per book. This section of the weekly intro post might help you narrow down a verse to reflect on for the week, but you do not have to choose one of these verse, pick any section of the book you want! These are just some ideas.
- “I also pray that you will understand the incredible greatness of God’s power for us who believe him. This is the same might power that raised Christ from the dead…” Ephesians 1:19-20a
REFLECTION: Who can you pray this over this week? Who needs to know the incredible greatness of God’s power?
- “He makes the whole body fit together perfectly. As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love.” Ephesians 4:16
REFLECTION: Where have you seen this lived out well in your community of faith? What’s your “special work” that you can do well as a part of the body?
- “And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God.” Ephesians 3:18-19
REFLECTION: Why do you think Paul suggests that we must understand God’s love in order to live a full life in God’s power? What might the connection be?
Some Other Resources:
- The Bible Project summary video for Ephesians
- A Pinterest board with resources and pictures for Ephesians
- The 66 in 52 Schedule and Tracking Sheet
So now it’s your turn! Pick a verse and settle in this week, or read through the whole book. If you post any picture or blogs on social media, tag them with #66in52challenge so we can all share in this journey together!